John is one of the most experienced litigation funders not only in Australia but in the world and has been at the forefront of the industry for over two decades.
John was co-founder of arguably the world’s largest funder, IMF Bentham (now known as Omni Bridgeway) in 2001. In 2016 John established and led the Australian litigation funder, Investor Claim Partner.
John is the Chairman of the Association of Litigation Funders of Australia, which actively engages with government, legislators, regulators and other policy makers to shape the regulatory environment for litigation funding in Australia.
John has participated in over 500 funded claims over the past 25 years with some of the most notable class actions including:
- Maritime Union of Australia & Others v Patrick Stevedoring No.1 Pty Ltd (under administration) & Others (1998)
- British American Tobacco (Australia) Ltd v Western Australia (2003)
- Dorajay Pty Ltd v Aristocrat Leisure Ltd (2009)
- Watson v AWB Ltd (No 7) (2010)
- Hobbs Anderson Investments Pty Ltd v OZ Minerals Ltd (No 2) (2011)
- Kirby v Centro Properties Ltd (No 6) (2012)
- Rodriguez & Sons Pty Ltd v SEQWater & Others (2014)
- Hopkins v AECOM Australia Pty Ltd (No 8) (2016)
- Peter Anthony Basil v Bellamy’s Australia Ltd (2017)
- Carpenders Park Pty Ltd v Sims Metal Management Ltd (2019)
- Alison Court v Spotless Group Holdings Limited (2020)